Keep land in private hands while conserving signature landscapes
A conservation easement is a tailor-made legal agreement which runs in perpetuity with a property's title, and protects the land's natural characteristics and resources. When you sell or donate a conservation easement, you voluntarily retire one or more of the rights associated with the land, typically future development, in order to conserve its resources for future generations. In some cases, ALC may be able to purchase an easement from you using public or private philanthropic funds. Each easement is unique and drafted for continued and profitable use of a property while concurrently protecting its natural resources. For example, while you might give up the right to develop your property, the easement can be crafted to accommodate agricultural operations or sustainable timber harvests. You will retain the right to sell your property, but future owners will be bound by the conservation terms that you establish.
Consider a Conservation Easement
- Help permanently conserve your property for future generations while continuing to enjoy all retained rights of ownership and management.
- Realize potential tax benefits, including charitable deductions, property tax savings, and estate tax reduction.
- Retain land within the family and prevent fragmentation.
- Realize development value of your land while retaining ownership and protecting the land.
- We are a reputable organization with nearly two decades of experience completing conservation transactions across the nation.
- We draw on a team of highly qualified legal, real estate, title, appraisal, finance and environmental experts.
- ALC knows the ins and outs of working with public agencies, letting you avoid dealing directly with time consuming and complicated bureaucratic procedures.
- We enable you to retain your privacy by working with a third party instead of directly with a public entity.
- Since ALC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, you may be able to realize tax benefits if you incorporate a donation into the transaction.
- Working with you individually to craft the terms of the easement
- Helping you determine the organization/entity best suited to hold and monitor the easement in perpetuity
- Identifying and attaining public or private funds for purchase of easement where available
- Facilitating transfer of the easement
- Arranging all due diligence, including a certified appraisal, environmental assessment, baseline report, legal and title work, etc.
- Providing expertise in negotiating real estate transactions
ALC concentrates its conservation efforts in regional programs and also undertakes strategic opportunities to conserve exceptional land and water resources across the United States. If you are interested in conserving your property, and would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Conservation Staff directly.